Monday, January 12, 2015

There is Joy in the Journey to Perfection.

It has only been a week of this new semester and I have already learned so much. Some of you may not know this but I have decided to serve an LDS mission. This decision has already started to change my life. I have been striving to better myself in regards to scripture study, and let me tell you it has made all the difference so far. I am so happy. Little things that use to bother me are no longer an issue. I have more time to do the things I need to and feel more love for those around me.
This week I have experienced many different instances where I could have let myself get down or upset or revert back to my old ways of holding grudges, but I didn't. I didn't let some dumb boy decide how I was going to feel about myself. I let go of past feelings of jealousy and let an old friend back into my life. These may seem like small decisions, but for me they are huge. 
Moving now in life is essential. Everyone is here to grow. Part of growing is forgiving and forgetting. I always told myself that I could forgive but I didn't have to forget. I would hold on to things that people may have done to hurt me in the past and let that influence the way I thought about them. I know realize, that is not very forgiving. As I have been studying the scriptures more I have come to realize how much energy I have wasted holding grudges and constantly comparing myself to the success of others. Last night in a devotional giving by Brother Randall Ridd, the second counselor in the general young men's presidency, he talked about living with a purpose and with real intent. In the scripture Matthew 5:48 it reads "Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect." It says to be perfect, but in the footnotes, this kind of perfect means to be complete, finished, or fully developed. I know I am not perfect, but I am taking what life hands me and using those experiences to become whole and to reach my full potential in this life. I am with Tolstoy when he says "There is joy in the journey to perfection." I am all about finding that joy, in fact I have already found pieces of it in my roommates. my mission prep class. texts from my sisters or late night thought texts from a close friend. the scriptures. sacrament meeting. devotionals. snapchat wars. less than live Bachelor nights. coloring books. warm blankets. rain. prayer. little Cesar's pizza. one direction's new CD. giant snowflakes. the institute building. calls from my mom & dad.
I know that through daily scripture study I can continue to find that joy in my life. I cannot wait to serve the Lord for 18 months and be able to dedicate that time to teaching others about the love of God and His amazing gospel. Just something to remember as you go throughout this week:

“Desires dictate our priorities, priorities shape our choices, and choices determine our actions.” -Dallin H. Oaks



1 comment: